Printers in Linux - Was: Re: [lug] SSSCA to make all open source software illegal

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Nov 21 16:32:24 MST 2001

D. Stimits wrote:

<snip>
> I've pretty much decided that if a time comes when I can afford a new
> printer, it'll either be a Lexmark printer (based in part on what you've
> mentioned, and in part on feeling it is higher quality hardware/drivers
> than HP and Epson),

I would have to admit that the HP professional series inkjets seem to be
of higher hardware quality (and have lower operating costs) than the
Lexmark inkjets.  But that is not of much help if you can't get nice
output from them on Linux!  For the relatively small quantities that my
family is printing at home the Lexmark inkjet seems well suited.  And
even on Windows the print quality of the Lexmark inkjets seems better
than what the HPs can do.  I am not at all impressed with Epson print
quality and service - on all levels.  I maintain some of those at our
office as well.
Lexmark office laser printers (24ppm and up) by the way are of awesome
hardware quality!  We have a few of those at our office and printer
service visits that we were used to with the HP printers are pretty much
a thing of the past.  Plus consumables are much cheaper.