[lug] working with scp and older ssh

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Nov 23 00:58:46 MST 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> I'm wanting to use my more modern ssh (openssh with v1 and v2, default
> v2) with a Sun machine that is a bit "quirky". I can ssh in via
> something similar to:
> ssh -t -2 -l <myloginname> whereever.com
>
> I'm trying to use scp though, and am having problems getting the "-o"
> option to pass parameters to ssh. Basically, if I just do scp without
> special parameters passed to ssh, I get this (I have -v for verbose):
> Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host whereever.com, user myloginname, \
>            command scp -v -t ~
> myloginname at whereever.com's password: <I enter pass here>
> mesg: cannot stat
> scp: warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.
> scp: FATAL: Executing ssh1 in compatibility mode failed \
>      (Check that scp1 is in your PATH).
> lost connection
>
> I don't have scp1, I have only scp. I've tried a symbolic link to scp
> named scp1, and made sure my shell had it in the path (I'm using RH 7.1
> btw). If I try to use the scp option "-o" to force anything at all, even
> the "-2" (I tried several different variations on this), it always says
> a variation on:
>   command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: 2
> (in that case I tried "-o 2")
>
> It appears to me that there is absolutely no "-o" option of any kind
> from the entire list of ssh options that it will accept. *All* of them
> are rejected as bad configuration option, with or without the dash, with
> or without a space separating, with or without quotes (single or double)
> around the option I try to pass. Since ssh works, can someone give me a
> hint how to force scp to work also? My ssh version on RH is openssh
> 2.9p2 (which is conveniently also firewalled against all but a few
> explicitly accepted IP's).
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Ok, a partial answer has surfaced on a google search, worded almost
exactly like my question. Apparently this has popped up before between
linux and Sun. It seems that scp1 must be in my path on the remote
machine, not locally...it wasn't the linux end that was missing it.
Unfortunately, there is only scp2 on that machine, and a sym link to
fool it into thinking it is scp1 results in an infinite loop of "scp:
warning: Executing scp1 compatibility." Time for more research.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com