[lug] Virtual Machine?

Fred Robinson FRobinson at sandcherry.com
Mon Nov 26 12:22:44 MST 2001

Thanks!

Fred Robinson
Sr. Systems Engineer
SandCherry networks
http://www.sandcherry.com/
2845 Wilderness Pl.
Boulder, CO 80301
720.272.5201
frobinson at sandcherry.com

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/psel/ps0004a.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Evelyn Mitchell [mailto:efm at tummy.com]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 12:13 PM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Re: [lug] Virtual Machine?

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:56:41AM -0700, john starkey wrote:
> > Some time ago it was suggested to me that you could run a VM in Linux
> > wherein you could run a Win O/S virtually.
> > Does anyone have expericence with this?
>
> I tried VMWare on a 333 AMD with 192 megs and it was slow.... really slow.
Also very hard to work with *at times with very little resources available*.
But it (the window Windows was in) locked up all the time so you had that
genuine Windows feeling. :}

The latest version of VMWare, 3.0 is significantly faster than
previous versions. Though I have noticed that it does like a lot
of memory, and a pretty hefty processor. From what I've heard,
that's what you need to run Windows on the bare metal anyways.

VMWare is talking about offering 'GuestOS' ready to go. So,
instead of having to install a version of Windows, you'd just
buy the GuestOS and have at it. Much simpler. No idea on pricing,
though.

Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com