[lug] Bookkeeping Software

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Tue Nov 27 14:45:40 MST 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:39:49PM -0700, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> Has anyone ever tackled the job of creating bookkeeping software for
> Linux?
Yes.

Christopher Browne has collected a good list of business related
software for Linux at:
  http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/linuxcbb.html
the specifically financial software is listed at:
  http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html

> Perhaps the biggest part of this problem is that quickbooks is so
> deeply entrenched in the accounting profession?  Anyone have a strategy
> for changing this scenario?

My accountant can use a variety of accounting packages, but she suggests
staying with Quickbooks unless we have a compelling need (job costing,
inventory tracking, a more complicated ownership structure). I like it
because it integrates well with our payroll service, but most commercial
accounting software would as well.

There was a time when Linux accounting software wasn't available, but
that's not the case anymore. We'll move as soon as we're big enough to
need it. Hopefully, soon. :)

Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com