[lug] Bookkeeping Software

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Nov 27 15:42:12 MST 2001

John Starkey wrote:

> > I remember a few years ago the Linux Journal had an advertisement for a
> > commercial package designed for medium to large business. I mentioned it
> > to one of the financial officers of a manufacturing firm I worked for
> > back then, and she had said that it was quite well known accounting
> > software, but only in the big business world (and not the Linux version,
> > just the software in general). You could buy optional packages to add
> > almost any functionality to it, and I think an average package price was
> > something around $50k at the time, +/- $25k depending on options.
> > So...if you mean *really extensive (and expensive)* software for large
> > companies, I know it is out there, though I can't recall what the brand
> > name was. I haven't heard of any "claimed wonderful" software for free
> > in that area.
>
> Appgen maybe? I checked the archives for this same topic a month ago and
> Evelyn had mentioned them at one point.
>
> I tried the MyBooks Pro version. It looked like it was going to be
> really good eventually but there are some bugs in the latest version.
> Mostly in the visuals, not in any math as far as I know. Some of the
> windows weren't refreshing correctly.

That might be the package, I'm not sure. If it is an expensive package
that can have modules purchased, it probably is the one. The part about
the underlying numbers being correct would be a reflection of the
software library existing and being tested on other o/s for many years,
while the gui problems would be a reflection of the newer Linux
version.l

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com