[lug] VMWare Resources

john starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Tue Nov 27 17:35:00 MST 2001

Thus spake Sean Reifschneider (jafo at tummy.com):

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:56:41AM -0700, john starkey wrote:
> >I tried VMWare on a 333 AMD with 192 megs and it was slow.... really
> >slow. Also very hard to work with *at times with very little resources
> >available*. But it (the window Windows was in) locked up all the time
> >so you had that genuine Windows feeling. :}
>
> We've been running VMWare for access to quickbooks for a couple of years
> now, and have been pretty happy with it.  I found that giving the GuestOS
> 64MB worked fine if I had 256MB of RAM.  This is on a Celeron 500...
> 256MB is the minimum I recommend for VMWare.  These days 256MB is pretty
> cheap, though, so no reason not to.

I was so inspired by this thread I installed VMware again last night. Big, big change from 2.x to 3.0, 333MHz to 900MHz, and 192 megs to 512 megs.

So does VMware have any of the issues of wine? Some apps work and some don't?? Explorer gave me a few illegal exception errors. Flash and Outlook run like a gem so far.