[lug] weird vmware samba vfat issue

dan radom dradom at redback.com
Thu Nov 29 10:00:09 MST 2001

I recently removed win2k and installed win98 running under vmware 3.0 workstation.  Everything worked fine with win2k / vmware / samba / vfat.  Here's what I'm experiencing with win98...

When using any of the office 2000 applications I can mount my linux partitions using samba just fine, and i can read office type files from both ext2 and vfat partitions.  For some unknown reason I cannot write to the vfat partition directly from work or excel, eventhough the files I'm trying to save were read from that same partition.  I know this isn't a samba problem, since it all worked with win2k, and since I can save the file (excel) to my win98 desktop and move it to the vfat partition that I've mounted.  What could be different in win98 that would prevent me from writing these files directly from word or excel to that vfat partition?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  I'm running all the office and win98 updates and service packs.

Dan