[lug] Annoying new behavior in RedHat/Krud 7.2

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 29 10:27:27 MST 2001

In my experience, upgrades (and UNIX upgrades in particular) have
always required some amount of manual merging of configurations.
Generally, the longer you've run the previous release, the more custom
tweaks you'll need to restore after upgrading.  I think this is because
the distro designers don't want to be resposible for guessing (maybe
incorrectly) on how to convert customized old-style cfgs to new-style
cfgs for every application.

I suppose it would be possible to read all the docs and pre-determine
where default values and syntaxes have changed.  But whenever possible,
I usually just forge ahead and see what breaks; it's always something.

Elyse Grasso wrote:

> Thanks everyone.
>
> I'd still like to know why the upgrade changed settings that were working....
> haven't had time to check the logs and /etc/changes in detail yet.
>
> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 11:38 am, you wrote:
>
>>>the least secure thing to do (and this is a BAD BAD IDEA, but if
>>>you're not actually connected to the net, it might still work) is to
>>>just allow "xhost +" as your normal user, then "su -".  this is a
>>>super bad idea, however.
>>>
>>slightly more secure (but not much) is to do an xhost +localhost before
>>su'ing.

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
  |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |