[lug] good amd motherboards for linux RH 71.

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 29 14:35:22 MST 2001

I can report on good experiences (so far, ~5 months) with the
relatively inexpensive Iwill KA266-R Athlon/Duron mobo.  It supports
DDR, Integrated IDE HW Raid (have not used), ATA/100 IDE, onboard sound
CM8738 chipset (works well with Linux cmpci.o driver).  No
compatibility problems so far.

One oddity is that the BIOS claims that "the processor has been
changed" once in a while after a reboot, and it requires "F1 to
continue".  Strange, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything.

Timothy C. Klein wrote:

> I have an Abit KT7-Raid.  Very nice board, no Linux problems at all.  It
> does not support DDR SDram or teh 266 Mhz FSB of the new Athlons, as it
> is a bit older.  I have never actually used the UDMA 100 features, as it
> resides on the 2 extra raid IDE channels, and I am not using those right
> now.  I also have a Soyo something or other for the older Athlons (the
> Thunderbird, like the Abit).  I don't remember the model, as I bought it
> in a hurry at Compusa when another motherboard died.  It also works
> fine, but I don't remember what it is, so taht is no help.  And lastly,
> I have an AMD 750 board, that runs the Athlon classic.  It as always
> been slightly flakey, but not too bad.  But you can't buy that board or
> processor any more, I suspect, unless you buy them used.
>
> I had never heard about this Duron issue.  I only have Athlons.  When I
> have built machines, I didn't think Durons were enough cheaper than the
> Athlon to warrant the loss of cache.  They seemed to be pretty close in
> price, when I was looking.
>
> HTH,
> Tim
>
> * lana emodsey (lana_tux at yahoo.com) wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>i am looking for first-hand references about
>>reliable, "works off the box", AMD duron or better
>>motherboards to run under RH 7.1
>>
>>i am considering both non-DDR and DDR options.  I
>>understand the Duron cannot take advantage of DDR,
>>but i am a bit fuzzy on that.  So, some education
>>in that regard will be welcome.
>>
>>i am open to recommendations/comments on boards
>>with on-board support for net/video/sound.
>>
>>TIA - lana

> --

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
  |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |