[lug] good amd motherboards for linux RH 71.

David dajo at frii.com
Thu Nov 29 18:08:43 MST 2001

> hi,
> i am looking for first-hand references about
> reliable, "works off the box", AMD duron or better
> motherboards to run under RH 7.1

hi,

I am very happy with a new machine I bought three months ago.  I am
running KRUD/RH7.1 and do not recall any hw problem at all.  Athlon
1.4 GHz, DDR, 768 Mb, EIDE discs; I do not use sound, and have an
nVidia video card.  It all runs (compilation test) almost 12 times
faster than than my PII 200 MHz machine 8-)

The motherboard is an MSI K7T266 Pro, which uses a VIA KT266 chipset.
It has only three DDR slots and I do not know how large the strips can
be, 512 Mb at least, I think, mine is max-ed with 3 x 256.  This board
only has PCI slots, and this forced me to use an external modem, I
forget why, but it was obvious at the time.  There is a sticker on the
box that says $199, I have no idea what I paid, it was part of a $975
package.

This motherboard was a replacement (after a day or two) for an ASUS
board that kept crashing or something.  I do not want to badmouth
ASUS unduly, but you ask about out-of-the-box so I should report also
that I was the second customer in two days who had exactly the same
problem and exactly the same board change.

Good Luck.

dajo