[lug] Measuring bandwidth

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Nov 29 22:35:26 MST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:36:49PM -0700, DeVerter at robinsonmechanical.com wrote:
>Later today, frii.com will be moving my DSL to their service away from
>Qwest.  According to my arrangement with them I am allowed monthly
>transfers of 10Gb per month.  Does anyone know of utility for Linux to
>monitor traffic flow across eth* ?

You can set up SNMP on the Cisco, and set up MRTG to pull the usage data.
It's then fairly easy to process that data into a monthly usage level.  I
have a Python program that will do exactly that based on the MRTG log file.
Or, you can just eye-ball the MRTG stats.

Sean
--
 "Who's the guy in the suit?"  "FBI."  "He looks a little to much like a
 lounge lizard for FBI."  "He's working under-cover."  -- Sean & Evelyn 2000