[lug] Measuring bandwidth

DeVerter at robinsonmechanical.com DeVerter at robinsonmechanical.com
Fri Nov 30 08:26:23 MST 2001

I knew there had to be a Python way to do it.  I have already written a
Python version of Rob's response.  I'll start messing with your idea
tonight.

Thanks all,
Mark d.

"Once you have tasted falling you will walk the Earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have
been and there you will long to return."  - DaVinci

                    Sean
                    Reifschneider           To:     lug at lug.boulder.co.us
                    <jafo at tummy.com>        cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     Re: [lug] Measuring bandwidth
                    lug-admin at lug.bou
                    lder.co.us

                    11/29/01 10:35 PM
                    Please respond to
                    lug

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:36:49PM -0700, DeVerter at robinsonmechanical.com
wrote:
>Later today, frii.com will be moving my DSL to their service away from
>Qwest.  According to my arrangement with them I am allowed monthly
>transfers of 10Gb per month.  Does anyone know of utility for Linux to
>monitor traffic flow across eth* ?

You can set up SNMP on the Cisco, and set up MRTG to pull the usage data.
It's then fairly easy to process that data into a monthly usage level.  I
have a Python program that will do exactly that based on the MRTG log file.
Or, you can just eye-ball the MRTG stats.

Sean
--
 "Who's the guy in the suit?"  "FBI."  "He looks a little to much like a
 lounge lizard for FBI."  "He's working under-cover."  -- Sean & Evelyn