[lug] C++ regular expression libs

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Dec 1 22:11:24 MST 2001

Tkil wrote:

> DS> Does anyone here have a favorite C++ based regular expression
> DS> library? I have the old C version available, but thinking of
> DS> rewriting some code and a C++ version would make it a lot easier
> DS> (or cleaner).
>
> i haven't personally used it, but i've heard that "PCRE" ("perl
> compatible regular expressions") is a very powerful package.  i don't
> believe it's C++, but it should be easy to wrap (if someone else
> hasn't already done it for you!).

There's already a C-based regex package that is built in to glibc, but
I've recently had enough C wrapping fun, and wanted to see if something
out there already mixes and plays nice with C++. It looks like the Boost
regex package is a lot easier to use than glibc's C based package, but I
might just write my own glibc wrapper based roughly on how Boost has
their's set up. It's the sort of thing that could be useful a lot, and
being able to do so without downloading extra libraries might be an
advantage, depending on how hard it is to wrap glibc to look similar to
Boost. (then again, maybe I should just go to sleep and figure it out
tomorrow)

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com