[lug] [OT] Help with Win2000 file recover

Jonathan Briggs zlynx at acm.org
Mon Dec 3 16:15:51 MST 2001

rm at fabula.de wrote:

>A former graphic artist of mine just contaced me in panic: she
>accidently deleted a whole tree of directories from her Win2000
>server. From what i can tell the deleted folders/files did _not_
>end up in the trash can but just fanished (i think she deleted the
>folders from a remote machine -- i have no idea where Win2000 would
>put those files). Normaly i stay away from anything Win-like but since
>this seems to be half a year of work (no, no backups :-/ ) and she
>has some good-willing but very incompetent advisors allready i thought

Well, first thing to do is shut down the server.  The longer it runs,
the more likely it is to write over the data.  Second, search the web
for good tools, or check out your local CompUSA or other computer store
for something like Norton tools.  I ran a Google search for "windows
2000 file recovery deleted files" and found some good results.