[lug] Newbie tries to make laptop modem work

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Dec 3 17:14:24 MST 2001

It will work if your installed kernel source tree is configured to match
the running kernel. For example, after a make mrproper, you can do make
menuconfig; that configuration must be the same to guarantee success, it
alters headers and parts of the source. If you get it close, you might
get lucky and it'd work even without being an exact match. But if you
just install an unconfigured source tree, I'd bet high dollars (monopoly
dollars since I'm broke) against success.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com