[lug] cat 5 cable

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Dec 4 13:31:18 MST 2001

Hugh Brown wrote:

> We are out of our patch cable where I work and I need to get some more.
> The problem is that I am not sure exactly which kind to get.  We have a
> big spool of somewhat inflexible cable that is apparently well suited to
> wall jacks, but not to rj45 connectors.
>
> What is the right kind of cable to get for a 100Mbps network for making
> my own cable where both ends will have rj45 connectors?

I can suggest you need the "Fast" cat 5, else you lose 100 Mbps real
quick over distances. It's a bit more expensive than plain cat 5. Even
CompUSA sells this, last time I looked the regular cat 5 was on the
left, and fast cat 5 on the right, higher price for same basic length. I
don't know if their prices are reasonable or not, but they do have some
fairly long lengths available if you're in a hurry. I do not know about
best or worst for particular connectors, maybe try J.B. Saunders over on
Foothills highway off of Valmont (it is possible they can tell you what
makes the good hand-made cables).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com