[lug] samba won't start

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Dec 5 15:48:47 MST 2001

Jason Davis wrote:

> hi,
> i have been running samba in my office for a while...i added a linux
> firewall box doing nat
> to my network...my samba server is behind it. so i have 2
> questions...first
> i think my samba box(rh 7.1 with a pentium pro 100) and my firewall
> box (rh 7.1 and a
> 3com 10/100) are having a problem talking sometimes. When i turn on my
> samba box in
> the morning it cant see the internet until i have changed the ipv4
> setting in the network config.
> the next morning i will have to change it again to see internet. Real
> problem is that samba
> wont start anymore....when i enter samba start it goes therough saying
> it started smbd and nmbd ok but then when i enter samba status it say
> neither service is running...this is the
> same smb.conf file i have always used...any suggestions?
>
> thanks,
> Jason Davis
> jd_480 at hotmail.com

I don't use samba, but it sounds typical of stale lock files causing
confusion in scripts that can't deal with stale locks. See if you can
find an associated lock file in /var/lock/ or /var/lock/subsys/, run
your samba stop, and see if the file is still there; if so, delete it.
Try again.

The other thing is that some scripts do dumb things like that if for
some reason the kernel does not support the feature. Has your kernel
changed in any way?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com