[lug] samba won't start

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Dec 5 19:59:06 MST 2001

Jason Davis wrote:

> Jason Davis
> jd_480 at hotmail.com
> >From: "D. Stimits"
> >To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> >Subject: Re: [lug] samba won't start
> >Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:48:47 -0700
> >

> i found  files in /var/lock/samba one for nmbd.pid and one for
> smbd.pid
>
> i erased the pid inside the files then tryed to start samba then i
> tried removing both
>
> of the files...no luck. Should i delete the whole dir.? Any other
> suggestions? also

It's safe to delete files for stopped services, but I doubt it is a good
idea to delete their directories as well. Some of that might be metadata
that is needed. Lock files are generally a hint, and not actual
operational data (at least not when the services are stopped, and
probably most of the time when they are running as well, aside from the
possibility of trying to start something twice).

> when i try to restart samba a new pid is written to the smbd and
> nmbd.pid file..yet samba is still not started when i do ps ax i never
> find the pid in question..also i lookked at my samba log files for
> today and this was thwe output....ok i just figured it out kinda. i
> changed my host name

Sounds like nmbd is running ok. And yes, changing a host name does
wonders for confusing many network applications, though I don't know
what goes on with samba.

> in the network conf gui (rh 7.1 kde 2.something) to
> "dualp2.inside.net" in smb.log inside
>
> /var/log/samba i saw that host dualp2.inside.net was not found...i
> have had my samba
>
> boxes named all kinds of bs with out any negative effect...why now? so
> i changed the name back to localhost.localdomain....do you think i
> needed to make a entry into /etc/hosts ?

It's usually a good idea to have in /etc/hosts (and assume 10.0.0.1 is
your internal network for the sample and that you have names
myhost.somewhere.com and myhost to resolve for the particular machine,
and somewhere.com is your general internal net):
10.0.0.1  somewhere.com
127.0.0.1 localhost  localhost.localdomain myhost myhost.somewhere.com

There are variations, lots of different ways to name things in hosts
file. Depends what you want and what you have, so on, so forth. Will
that be enough for samba? Don't know, it depends where it gets its data
for the process that fails.

Be sure to restart networking whenever you make a change, else it won't
be visible.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com