[lug] Semi-OT: .ogg files and winamp

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Thu Dec 6 08:56:23 MST 2001

Howdy all!

I recently downloaded the newest available libraries, tools etc. for Ogg
Vorbis encoding and used GRIP to rip some CDs in .ogg format.  XMMS is
playing them fine, but when I switch over to the dark side and try to play
them in Winamp, it scrolls the name of the file as if it wants to play it
and then does nothing.  I've downloaded what I believe to be the newest Ogg
Vorbis plugin for Winamp and it still doesn't help.

Could it be that the encoder for Linux is ahead of the plugin for Winamp?
Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks!

James Harris
Systems Administrator