[lug] Lame server on?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Dec 6 10:31:55 MST 2001

Paul Bille wrote:

> I don't recognize the syntax of the following argument 2>&1.  I presume the
> & runs the process in the background.  I'm not certain if the > is another
> redirection or if it signifies another prompt.

It serves to duplicate standard error as standard out, thereby sending
both to the same place, in this case the bit bucket.  See manual page
for bash(1) or sh(1) under the heading REDIRECTION.

-John

--

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |