[lug] attbi troubles

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Thu Dec 6 13:34:57 MST 2001

On 12-06 13:14, Jeff wrote:
> Nope.  Mine went just fine.  I noticed teh lights on my cable modem on
> Tue night and booted into winbloz and wrote all of the information
> down.  Rebooted into linux and BOOM!  Back in biz.  Although their DNS
> is a bit screwy.  with @home, I could do an nslookup on my machine name
> and find out the IP.  With attbi, I havne't been able to do that...yet.
> Also, I've noticed that the network pukes for a bit from time to time.
> For example, I leave my mail open.  I've noticed that when I'm gone most
> of the day, I'll come home and Netscape can't find the mail server for
> about 1 hour.  This never happened with with @home.

I was having the same DNS troubles you describe - it was very intermittent.
It was getting extremely annoying. Annoying enough for me to put in a
cache-only DNS server on my machine. That helped a lot. Addresses that
resolved before (such as mail server, google.com, you know, stuff that
should work. :)) were resolving maybe 75% of the time, and gagging the other
25% of the time.  That's no good. The DNS server helped out quite a bit,
IMHO.