[lug] Compatibility between glibc-2.1 and glibc-2.2

Jonathan Briggs zlynx at acm.org
Thu Dec 6 16:00:15 MST 2001

"Harris, James" wrote:

>Hi everybody!
>
>I'm getting confused with the recent RedHat updates on RH 7.0 bringing
>glibc-2.1 up to glibc-2.2.  We have a box that we've patched completely, but
>our third party application was apparently linked against 2.1 and won't
>install now that we have 2.2.4 on the system.
>
>Looking at the install script, we can easily fool the installer to work, but
>the BIG question is: will be application be unstable running with 2.2 when
>it was originally built on 2.1?  We've sent this question out to the vendor,
>but anticipate that it may take them some time to respond, and I figure you
>guys might know whether the glibc libraries themselves are compatible.  I've
>tried going to the glibc web page but can't find any compatibility
>information out there.
>
>Does anyone here know?... Or are there any good sites out there that address
>this type of compatibility issue?

The 2.2 version of glibc is _not_ fully compatible with the 2.1 version.

When I upgraded glibc on my RedHat 6.2 system up to 2.2.4 along with
many other rpms from RedHat 7.2, several of my gnome applications quit
working.  Nautilus and gnumeric and Ximian's RedCarpet program would run
and then segfault.

However, most other programs continued to work fine.