[lug] DNS/BIND for a home network

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Thu Dec 6 16:06:45 MST 2001

I own a domain name, data-raptors.com which is administered through my ISP. I
access the general internet sporadically, through a slow dial-up line. At one
time I had a fixed IP address. I'm not sure whether it still is fixed or not.

I want to set up a nameserver for my home machines to use talking to each
other (the one Win2k box is annoying about acknowledging that the others
exist, even with its hosts aand lmhosts files filled in. I'm not sure running
DNS will help, but it seems worth trying). The machines are on a 192.168.2.0
network. (Work uses 192.168.1.x -- the hosts file on my laptop is .... umm
... odd).

I assume from reading up on BIND that I should make the home machines a
subnetwork of my official domain name -- something like
home.data-raptors.com. I don't think I want to have the full domain delegated
to my home machines until I have a 24/7 broadband connection of some sort: I
suspect delegation would complicate my email delivery, (which is mainly what
I use data-raptors.com for in the first place).

Should I ask my ISP to delegate home.data-raptors.com to me somehow, so that
my local DNS servers won't get confused when they are connected to the
Internet and able to talk to the server that is authoritative for
data-raptors.com?

Assuming that I set up home.data-raptors.com, is it possible for me to give
the machines canonical names like xerxes.data-raptors.com without bothering
the ISP to do so?

Are there any really good discussions of combining NAT and BIND that someone
could point me to? (I just bought DNS and BIND 4th ed, since the 3rd ed
didn't cover a lot of the stuff I'm running into... not sure I'm
comprehending it yet.)

At work I have a slightly different problem, since we do intend to run our
own mail and web servers once I get things configured, but I will still need
to deal with NAT, I think.

Thanks for any help,

Elyse