[lug] attbi troubles

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Dec 7 15:46:08 MST 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 07:51, Ken Weinert wrote:
> Ok, my transition last night didn't go well - in fact, it didn't go at
> all.
>
> Therefore, I spent about 30 minutes online with a tech guy (with about
> a 30 minute wait to get to him :)
>
> So, since I'm at work, I haven't actually tried this yet, but here's
> some info I thought I'd pass along.
>
> 1) You need to change/remove the old @home machine name

Yeah, from what I'm hearing they're back to "normal" DHCP but...

> 2) you *might* need to go to sas.r4.attbi.com to register your
> modem. I'm thinking that in the transition they somehow got some
> database info hosed in my case. There you'll need your account number
> and mac address (the registration code is the last 9 of your account
> #)

... they're doing MAC level security.  Time to program up a Linksys or
Linux box to be the gateway and stay there... with the same network card
always.  :-)  LOL...

> 3) he said that (unlike @home) IPs will change every 24 hours. I'm
> presuming he means that IPs will have an enforced 24 hour lease.

Again, we've seen some of their network misconfigured (if they're saying
24 hours) and we're seeing updates of IP's on numerous ATTBI machines at
every *1* hour.

> 4) after doing the above, there should be some info at
> http://www.newuser.attbi.com, but that's only reachable from the attbi
> network (according the tech, Michael.)
>
> Hope your transition went easier than mine.
>
> --
> Ken Weinert   kenw at ihs.com 303-858-6956 (V) 303-705-4258 (F)
> GnuPG KeyID: 9274F1CE           GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
> GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
> Linux 2.2.14: up 32 days, 15:39
> Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem

Nate WY0X