[lug] attbi troubles

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Fri Dec 7 16:04:08 MST 2001

On 12-07 15:46, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 07:51, Ken Weinert wrote:
<snip>
> > 2) you *might* need to go to sas.r4.attbi.com to register your
> > modem. I'm thinking that in the transition they somehow got some
> > database info hosed in my case. There you'll need your account number
> > and mac address (the registration code is the last 9 of your account
> > #)
>
> ... they're doing MAC level security.  Time to program up a Linksys or
> Linux box to be the gateway and stay there... with the same network card
> always.  :-)  LOL...

Where did you see/hear this? I haven't noticed this...I switched from a
Windoze box (after I verified service was up) back to my firewall box -
different NICs, no problem...is there some start date on this?

> > 3) he said that (unlike @home) IPs will change every 24 hours. I'm
> > presuming he means that IPs will have an enforced 24 hour lease.
>
> Again, we've seen some of their network misconfigured (if they're saying
> 24 hours) and we're seeing updates of IP's on numerous ATTBI machines at
> every *1* hour.

Where did the 24 hour figure come from? I haven't seen this, either...how do
they enforce this if you stay on? Will your connection just not work until
you run pump or something similar again? I'm going to check into DSL
availability in my area again. I was a reasonably happy customer prior to
the price hike last spring/summer and the recent lack of QoS. The tech
support was always terrible (at least the "front line", anyway), IMHO, but
the static ip and speed was enough for me to overlook that for the most part.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome