[lug] Replacing leased cable modem with @Home?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Fri Dec 7 21:52:07 MST 2001

On 12-07 15:34, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 12:05:49PM -0700, Warren Sanders wrote:
> >What was the previous bandwidth anyway?
>
> I was getting up to 600KB/sec downloads from remote sites, as reported by
> the netscape download doohickey.  I'd regularly see 300 to 400KB/sec.
> 600KB/sec is around 5mbps, 400KB/sec is around 3.5mbps, and 300KB/sec is
> around 2.5mbps.
>
> The new service offering is supposed to be capped at 1.5mbps, which is
> around 180KB/sec.  They're also apparently going to be offering a
> higher-cost, higher bandwidth option later.  Now seems like a really bad
> time for them to be doing it.  I'd think they'd set it up with a high cap
> now, and then change it later to prevent pissing off people more.

If ftp (commandline) is reporting the correct stats, here's some info: I
recently downloaded a FreeBSD ISO - I started this morning, and it recently
finished...it said 20K/sec when done. 667955200 bytes in 3.25e+04 seconds.
Could have been FreeBSD's ftp site, too, I suppose.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome