[lug] RIAA Cracks Down After Taliban Ousted

Zichary O`Tea zirotea at cyberspace.org
Sun Dec 9 13:03:50 MST 2001

Kabul, Afghanistan - The Recording Industry Association of
Afghanistan (RIAA) has begun a major crackdown on pirated
music since the Taliban fell from power 2 days ago, and
launched their own bid for control in the war torn city.
Many cheered the fall of the Taliban, but the RIAA feels
that if music can be listened to that copyrights will be
violated.

Soon after the Taliban fled Kabul, black market Qamar Gul
and Ahmad Zahir CDs were being openly peddled on street
corners. Rumors of Abdullah Muqri MP3s circulating on the
Kabul computer were widespread.

"It was much easier to control music piracy when the Taliban
was in control. Now we fear that with their new found freedom
the people of Kabul and in the rest of Afghanistan will turn
to copyright violation to satisfy their musical needs," said
RIAA President Ghulam Hotak. "An RIAA lead country will be
able to enjoy the joys of music, but only if artist are
properly compensated."

Opposition groups denounce the RIAA power grab. "We will fight
to the last man to keep the RIAA from power in Afghanistan,"
said General Mahommed Dawood of the Northern Alliance. "We did
not unseat the Taliban only to have them replaced by a more
oppressive regime."

The Recording Industry Association of America has pledged
support to the RIAA by offering troops from its elite piracy
fighting Freedom Squad. "We can not sit idly by and watch the
people of Afghanistan violate copyrights. Our brothers in the
RIAA need our support," said Hilary Rosen.