[lug] Linking one partition to another for more room

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Mon Dec 10 07:13:09 MST 2001

Hello,

How can I link one partition to another where I have more disk space?

I was trying to download Ximian yesterday and its installation file
insisted on placing the files into /var/cache and its .rpm files into
/var/cache/redcarpet/packages. I had no control over this, as the
installation file was a binary file. My /var partition is very small and
I soon ran out of room.

There is lotsa room on my /usr/local partition. Is there a way to link
/var/cache and its subdirectory /var/cache/redcarpet/packages to a
directory on /usr/local to allow the download and then fake out the
installation program so that it will install?

Thanx.

BOF