[lug] attbi: misconfigured BROADCAST addr, etc?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 10 10:22:19 MST 2001

Neal McBurnett wrote:

> As a separate matter, I now can't reach mail.attbi.com from the
> dial-up line I'm using in the interrim.  It was working earlier in the
> week:
>
>  $ telnet mail.attbi.com smtp
>  Trying 216.148.227.71...
>
> Just hangs for a while....
>
> Do they now firewall out the rest of the world?

It seems they have also banned outside access to their POP3 server.  I
get the same result when I 'telnet mail.attbi.com 110' from work.
Fetchmail is now broken.  Darn.  It seems unreasonable that one would
be expected to download mail exclusively from home.

Port 25 (smtp) being closed to the outside, OTOH, seems reasonable (if
a bit unorthodox).  The only reason you would need connectivity to this
port is for relay, which SHOULD be closed to outside networks anyhow.
You should probably use the relay provided by your dial-up ISP.

--

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |