[lug] attbi - still get redirected to transition page

SamGAllen at cs.com SamGAllen at cs.com
Mon Dec 10 11:11:12 MST 2001

I'm a newbie to Linux.  My son, who is competent, setup a Linux firewall for
us while we were on @Home.  He's now on an extended backpack in Fiji and
answers his e-mail sporadically.  After a significant investment in money and
time in a number of O'Reilly books, I now have a basic working knowledge of
the system, which is RedHat using 4.2 kernal and iptables.

I have verified that dhcp appears to be working.  I now have a new address
for eth0 of 12.253.nn.nn with a mask of 255.255.252.0, which appears to be an
AT&T address.  The routing table shows 12.253.96.0 for eth0 with the same
mask.  We did have a hostname for @Home we had gotten from the installer,
which I have since removed since ATT says they no longer use hostnames.  This
is the only change I have made and I have rebooted the modem and the firewall
a number of times.

When I attempt to access or ping a port 80 address, I get redirected to
attbi's transition page, but I can successfully ping other host addresses.
Thus, I suspect there is something in my outbound message that ATT doesn't
like.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for allowing me to ask what is probably a
trivial question.

Sam