[lug] attbi: misconfigured BROADCAST addr, etc?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 10 11:48:00 MST 2001

To deny relay (after you connect and request a relay) is now default
MTA policy, agreed.

But AT&T is using a firewall (above the application layer, independent
of sendmail) to block TCP connection requests to port 25 from outside
their network.  This is what I though was unorthodox, but basically
yields the same results.

Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 10:22:19AM -0700, quoth John Hernandez:
>
>>Neal McBurnett wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>Port 25 (smtp) being closed to the outside, OTOH, seems reasonable (if
>>a bit unorthodox).  The only reason you would need connectivity to this

> I don't know about this.  I found out the hard way that the way sendmail
> comes out of the box, it does not allow relaying from outside.  I think
> this started with the next to last major release.
>
> Dhruva

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
  |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |