[lug] Cd burner recommendations

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Dec 10 12:53:12 MST 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:16:40AM -0700, BOF wrote:
>It looks like it's time to buy a CD-R, so I am seeking advice on what
>would be a good one to get. I would prefer one that works under both
>Linux and Windows NT.

The TDK VeloCD 24x burner.  Ask for it by name.  VERY nice drive, and
fairly cheap.  A couple of weeks ago, they were $149 with a $20 mail in
rebate at Circuit City.  It also rips audio at 40X.  I haven't seen audio
ripping run that fast, but it is down to like 30 seconds for a song.

It's got some sort of burn-proof thing, and seems able to handle burning
even if the input buffer runs out of data.  It's been incredibly reliable
for us.

I've also had good luck with the older Mitsumi 4x IDE burners (we have 4,
and have put probably 5k discs through them over 2 years), and not bad luck
with the Matshita CW-7503 8x SCSI burners (one out of 4 died).

I had an older Yamaha drive (back in 1997) that I had tons of problems with
-- it just wouldn't burn reliably.  That was a very long time ago.  More
recently, maybe 3 years ago, I had a Plextor 8x SCSI burner that was great,
until it started freaking out.  It replaced the Yamaha above, and I paid
the premium for the Plextor because of the problems with the Yamaha.  The
Plextor worked great for about 4 months, until one day it just started
freaking out.  Plextor was of no help, and even shipped the still
malfunctioning device back to me after I sent it in for repair.  They were
saying that it was a problem with the media I was using, but that doesn't
explain why it started happening all of a sudden, and trying new media
didn't fix it.

The TDK has been happy with any media we've given it.

Sean
--
 "I was just thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said
 ``I drank what?''"  -- Chris Knight, _Real_Genius_