[lug] attbi - still get redirected to transition page

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Mon Dec 10 13:04:20 MST 2001

On 12-10 14:46, SamGAllen at cs.com wrote:
> Sean,
>
> That was my problem.  I invoked /usr/sbin/named on the command line and
> pointed the PCs behind the firewall to the firewall for DNS and now it works.
>  Initial lookups are slow.  Is that normal?  Is there anything else you would
> suggest I do besides adding the "named" command to rc.local?

Well, if your DNS server is set up correctly, subsequent lookups should be
really quick. I'm hardly an expert, though. Another option is to run Squid,
which will markedly speed things up, but tends to need quite a bit of HD
space where it runs. If you don't know what Squid is, it is a caching proxy
server - you can also optionally run squidguard or others that will work in
conjunction with squid to block porn, advertisements, etc... that can speed
things up, too, since you won't be loading images from popups and banners.

As for lookups being slow, no, that isn't normal - well, at least prior to
the switchover from Excite at Home to AT&T's network. Hopefully, they get
things ironed out for the sake of folks who aren't so tech-savvy. It
certainly seems to be the norm right now. :/

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome