[lug] attbi: slow is the norm

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan_lists at netmeme.org
Mon Dec 10 15:25:37 MST 2001

Interesting findings to be sure. As for me, I've found that all sites
are consistently slightly slower (to the eye) than they used to be with
Excite at Home, with one notable exception: CNN's home page (which I check
about every 15-20 minutes throughout the day) is WAY WAY slower than it
used to be. That's puzzling to me, it seems like connectivity to CNN's
server farm (whereever that is) should be pretty good.

Bryan

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 15:01, Calvin Dodge wrote:

    On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 01:23:21PM -0700, Bryan Field-Elliot wrote:
    > Slow is, in fact, the norm, with attbi:
    >
    > http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100483,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp02

    It seems to vary with the location.

    Mom's system is in Lakewood on a /27 subnet.  Her download speeds range from 70 to 130 KBps.

    My older brother's system is in Arvada on a /21 subnet.  Downloads from Microsoft and Netscape yesterday ran at 13 KBps, while some other stuff came in at 40 KBps.

    It's interesting to me that - before the switch from @Home to attbi - they were both 24 subnets.

    Based on this rather small sample size, I'd guess that AT&T has some routing/equipment problems (rather than a general download limit of 13 KBps).

    Calvin

    --
    Calvin Dodge
    Certified Linux Bigot (tm)