[lug] Cd burner recommendations

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Mon Dec 10 21:08:15 MST 2001

BOF wrote:
> It looks like it's time to buy a CD-R, so I am seeking advice on what
> would be a good one to get. I would prefer one that works under both
> Linux and Windows NT.
>
> Additionally, advice on software to use would be nice.

I've had 2 plextor 8x12(?) scsi CD-R drives (had one, wore it out after
about 2 years, got another, still using it) and recently got a plextor
16x10x40 eide/atapi drive for another system, which is a joy to use for
its fast burn times.

Since someone mentioned ripping audio... I've ripped maybe 60% of my CDs
using cdparanoia and in all but maybe 5 or 6 discs everything has been
just fine. But for those 5 discs, cdparanoia fails. Just says there isn't
a disc and ejects the one that's in the drive. Does anyone know if this is
a problem with the discs, the reader, or the pilot?

--
Luke Jones  luke vortex frii fullstop com