[lug] Partitioning a NTFS file system

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Dec 11 09:12:55 MST 2001

Carlos Hernandez wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Does anybody know if  fips 2.0 can be used to partion a NTFS ?
>
> Is there  any other  tool  (free software) to do it?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Regards.

Do not trust any Linux support for *writing* to NTFS (the kernel
documentation even says this), it's vastly improved over a couple of
years ago, but it still isn't right yet (read support is quite good).
This is the kernel support end. Which isn't exactly fips, but I
seriously doubt you can trust fips with NTFS, though it might be ok (I'm
not even sure if fips understands NTFS or would simply refuse to resize
NTFS). I don't know of any free tools I would trust with NTFS, I would
love to hear about one that works.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com