[lug] BLUG Planning for 2002 and beyond

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Dec 11 13:35:01 MST 2001

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Faster-Laster wrote:

> 1. Draw up a charter (yes it's a big PITA but it need not be reall
> fancy). this was required for us to become a non-profit org in TN.

I agree with all of your points about organizing the group, but I do
question the need to make this a registered non-profit organization.
I've seen the non-profit issue crop up many times, and my question has
always been why?  So far I've never really received much of an answer to
that question.  To me this seems like an added level of complexity that we
really don't need.  Sure it probably doesn't hurt, and maybe you could
solicit tax free donations, but this is not anything we've ever really
wanted or needed to do.

Perhaps I'm wrong (Certainly wouldn't be the first time.)?  I'll concede
if someone can really show me what being a registered non-profit gains the
group.  Also, if we change or add to the group's mode of operation then
there may be a a good reason for becoming a non-profit.  I'm not violently
opposed to the suggestion, I just want to see some solid reasons why this
is a good idea?

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

                        ISART 2002
    International Symposium on Advanced Radio Technologies
      http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/index.html