[lug] dynamic IP works, but want static

qqq1one @yahoo.com qqq1one at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 14:20:10 MST 2001

--- Tkil <tkil at scrye.com> wrote:

> qqq> Can someone tell me what file(s) I need to modify to get it to
> qqq> use the static IP address again?
>
> look in /etc/sysconfig, i think network and networking-scripts.  next
> time, just put in the values when prompted during the initial install.

Oddly, on this particular machine the install didn't bother to ask me anything about networking
except for whether I wanted to use NIS, Kerberos, etc.  As on other installs, I only selected the
PAM option.  However, nowhere was I given the opportunity to specify whether I wanted to use a
dynamic IP or a static one such as I have seen for installs on other machines.  That part of the
install just never came up for this machine even though I have done the install 3 times now.  I've
now given up on the install helping me with this and that is why I am now having to do the network
configuration the hard way.

On your suggestion, I looked under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts again and this time I noticed
that there were some files missing, one of which was ifcfg-eth0.  So I restored it from the old
install, ran /sbin/ifup and now it's on the net with it's old static IP address.  Thanks.