[lug] BLUG Planning for 2002 and beyond

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Dec 11 14:27:38 MST 2001

Hi folks,

Like "Faster-Laster" (who was involved in NLUG), I was a founding
and Steering Committee member of TriLUG (http://www.trilug.org)
which, from the start, was incorporated as an NC-registered 501(c)3
nonprofit.

I agree with Wade that (1) theres no need to get 501(c)3 or similar
status and (2) the paperwork is a PITA.

That said, IMHO there are some cool benefits.  I think the biggest
was the continuity and "fresh blood" that yearly Steering Committee
elections seemed to create.  Definately helped with involvement as
new folks were drawn in.

Also, there were donations.  TriLUG got the following things and,
while I *cannot* claim that they were a direct result of the tax-
deductible-donations status, it certainly did help:

  - a brand-new DS10 alpha box from Compaq
  - multiple SCSI drives
  - many hundreds (low thousands?) in donations that were spent
      on HW, installfests, pizza (at meetings), etc.
  - rack space (16U, think) with a 5Mbit(?) connection from
      Inflow's colo site in Durham, NC [currently being setup
      as a mini-SourceForge-like site]
  - lots of other misc goodies

So I'm just throwing out this info to say that incorporating can
generate positives if folks want to pursue them...  ;-)

Ed

ps - You can see the TriLUG articles of incorporation at
      www.trilug.org and these are basically boiler-plate for
      most any small nonprofit org.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD