[lug] BLUG Planning for 2002 and beyond

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Dec 11 16:01:36 MST 2001

J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> Yes, but without registering as a non-profit we usually have more goodies
> and special offers than I can deal with.  In my opinion the "best" offers
> we've had have been the book from O'Reilly and a few other
> publishers.  The difficulty I've always had with the hardware offers is
> what do you do with these?  Who in the group gets to take this home?  The
> only really equitable solution I've found is to raffle this stuff off.

The whole LUG uses it!

The DS10 is parked in the donated colo space at Inflow and is
the webserver, ftp server (mirrors some stuff), mailserver,
shell-access-box, etc for TriLUG.  It'll soon be doing NAT, too,
as the remaining rack space is filled with other donated boxen.
A private net will connect them all and they'll be used as a
build farm and CVS repository for free/open-source projects.  So
its very much a shared thing...

> Anyway, I think the idea of creating a group charter, steering committee,
> etc. is a good idea.  This was what I had originally envisioned when I
> started this group.  Let's maybe start there, and then see how things
> evolve.

Sounds good.  Really, I'm not trying to push anyone towards

anything.  I just thought that you might be interested in

hearing what one other LUG did...

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD