[lug] On NPR this morning

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Dec 12 05:36:31 MST 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:29:49AM -0700, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> I've been following the FBI "Magic Lantern" debate on Dave Farber's
> Interesting People list.  Most recent message is at:
>
>   http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200112/msg00126.html
>
> I don't know whether or not it is true, but the article at that
> link should give you more to verify.

Thanks for that nice pointer. BTW, iff this report is in
fact true, i could see some interesting security problems for
the FBI and other agencies. Capturing all keystrokes might
create pretty hefty traffic and there is a rather high risk
of being detected by a dedicated hacker (and those are the ones
they're after, or ?). And then of course it would be rather
easy to trace the back traffic and find IP adresses of agency
computers ... The next logical step would be to fake this kind
of traffic by sending made up login/passwords and create a kind
of FBI 'honey pot' :-)
Such a scheme will not work against terroristic hackers, but
it _will_ work against 'normal' users. _That's_ the scarry part
of it.

  Ralf