[lug] e-mail addressing question

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Thu Dec 13 14:54:15 MST 2001

RFC821/822 doesn't really concern itself much with local delivery issues,
leaving the "local part" of the email address at the discretion of the local
system. "The syntax of the local part of a mailbox must conform to receiver
site conventions and the syntax specified in section 4.1.2." So, as long as
it is a well formed email address (and both "+" and "-" are valid in the
local part), it is acceptable.

Is it desirable? Well, I certainly think so. I rarely give out "untagged"
email addresses to commercial entities any more.

I can't think of any credible security risks caused by email aliasing. (And
I only play a network security expert on TV.)

-Rob