[lug] Postfix, hash, and unsupported dictionary types....

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Dec 13 15:52:27 MST 2001

Ian Hall-Beyer wrote:

> I recently rebuilt my postfix installation, because it didn't support hash
> maps (I was using dbm mostly).
>
> postconf -m tells me that hash is supported. I start postfix with a hash
> map listed in the main.cf - and it melts down saying that hash is an
> unsupported dictionary type.
>
> I've rebuilt postfix numerous times with both berkeley DB 3.3 and 4, to no
> avail. Everything looks kosher from the library standpoint.
>
> Is anyone using pop-before-smtp with dbm?
>
> does anyone know more about hash support in postfix?
>
> -Ian

I know nothing of your particular software, but can comment on the hash
map part. No hash map template will work unless there is a hash function
in order to sort by. Older distributions, even as recent as RH 6.2, did
not have a hash map in their STL at all. Almost every distribution since
summer seems to have the stl version of std::hash_map, or hash_set. But
there are not default hash functions for every data type out there,
unlike the standard "less" comparison operator that non-hash versions
use. So a big question is whether this is a templatized hash_map from
the system STL, or whether it is a custom hash_map? If it is not custom,
then I suspect that whatever data type you are dealing with could have a
hash function written for it and dropped in place, then it should work
just fine. I wonder what the underlying data type is? Even some of the
most trivial types don't seem to have default hash functions yet. None
of this is of course relevant if you don't want to write a hash
function, or search for a suitable library version to link against.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com