[lug] e-mail addressing question

Andrew R. Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Thu Dec 13 15:52:24 MST 2001

Postfix does support the + delimiterin some cases.  From man 5 aliases:

ADDRESS EXTENSION
       When alias database search fails, and the recipient local­
       part contains  the  optional  recipient  delimiter  (e.g.,
       user+foo),  the  search  is  repeated  for  the unextended
       address (e.g., user).

       recipient_delimiter
              Delimiter that separates  recipients  from  address
              extensions.

On my box, "postconf recipient_delimiter" brings up
recipient_delimiter =

so it looks like by default, it doesn't support the + or - thing.  There
is a separate section in that man page for mailing lists, like owner
addresses.

From the man page:
       In addition, when an alias exists for owner-name, delivery
       diagnostics  are  directed  to that address, instead of to
       the originator.  This is typically used to direct delivery
       errors  to the owner of a mailing list, who is in a better
       position to deal with mailing list delivery problems  than
       the originator of the undelivered mail.

but that isn't what anyone is talking about.

Anyway, hope this is helpful.

--
Andrew

 On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> Actually I just tried and both the "+" and the "-" seems to work with
> qmail.
>
> Just tried sending both versions to my postfix box and both were
> rejected.  So ... the obvious answer without doing any research would be
> to add these to the /etc/aliases file <wink>.
>
> Also tried with my exim configured system, and neither the "+" or
> "-" works there either.
>
> So for what it is worth I've created the following table of my quick and
> dirty experiments.
>
> 		me+something 		me-something
>
> Sendmail	yes			no
>
> qmail		yes			yes