[lug] Stupid xterm/konsole question

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Fri Dec 14 11:15:58 MST 2001

Ken> Does anyone know a way to make the shell realize it when I resize
Ken> my xterm? I use bash, usually over ssh.

Michael> However, you can type "resize" at the prompt and the new
Michael> dimensions get loaded into your environment.

the canonical incantation is:

   eval $( resize )

the eval is necessary, since otherwise the new values of LINES and
COLUMNS are not actually loaded into the environment.  of course, it
wouldn't surprise me if certain distributions updated things to have
"resize" be a shell alias/function that did the above steps for you.

nit-pickingly yours,
t.