[lug] PCMCIA Troubleshooting

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Dec 14 23:23:19 MST 2001

Elyse Grasso wrote:

> Can someone point me at the best information for troubleshooting PCMCIA in
> laptops? I'm using KRUD (RedHat) 7.2 with the latest kernel, upgraded from
> various earlier versions of KRUD and RedHat.
>
> Minor mystery: during boot, a message from cardmgr appears on the screen
> complaining about line 8 of the ./config.opts file, but that message does not
> show up in the boot.log file or the messages file. Where else could it be
> going? (This message also appears on machines that were initally installed
> clean from the October KRUD distribution. Did the file format change with the
> 2.4 kernels and the opts file not get redone? Where could I find out about
> this?)

Not all boot scripts properly redirect error messages to the log. They
go to stderr which goes to the console. What is line 8 of config.opts?
And is it a bash script (see line 1)? Probably find it via:
cd /etc
find . -name "config.opts" -print

FYI, I know nothing about PCMCIA, but script errors are not necessarily
PCMCIA even if that is where they were generated.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com