[lug] DVD driver spits out disk?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Dec 17 14:17:49 MST 2001

Okay, I'm lost here.  I was playing around the other day and looking
through my boot messages when I discovered that I appear to have a DVD
capable CD drive:

Dec  4 17:17:25 brahe kernel: hdc: CREATIVE CD5230E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Dec  4 17:33:06 brahe kernel: hdc: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM DVD-RAM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA

The first message comes from the boot, but the second appears to be when I
tried to mount the device (or something similar).

I don't have a /dev/dvd but I can access my CD drive just fine.  I
installed mplayer with the libdvdread and libdvdcss libraries.  However, I
haven't had a chance to actually try mplayer - every time I put a DVD in
the drive it spins for a bit and then gets spit out.  It looks like
something is trying to mount it or access it for some reason.  I disabled
automount - it was running, but I commented out the CDROM line in
/etc/auto.misc and restarted the automount daemon using
/etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs.  Still, the drive keeps spinning the DVD and then
spitting it out.

Why would it do that?  Is this drive not a DVD and the drive itself doesn't
like the disk?  Or is something trying to mount the disk as a CDROM and,
failing, forces the disk out?
--
Michael J. Hammel           |    All the worlds a stage, and all the men and
The Graphics Muse           |    women merely players.