[lug] Boulder Linux Users Group - December 13, 2001 Meeting Summary

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Tue Dec 18 10:46:59 MST 2001

              Boulder Linux User's Group Meeting Summary

Attendance:  approximately 30

Synopsis:  This month we didn't have a 10 minute software or technique
demo so after Chris Riddoch opened the meeting we moved directly to the
featured presentation.  Evelyn Mitchell of Tummy.com <efm at tummy.com> gave
this monts talk introducing us all to the wonderfully weird world of
software licensing.  As she noted, it is worth reading the license
agreements that come with your software.  You just might be surprised
about what you may be agreeing to if you don't.  She gave an overview of
the basic copyright law, the DMCA, and discussed various styles of license
agreements from the most restrictive commercial style to the viral
copyleft (GPL) created by Richard Stallman.

This was a very interesting talk, and I think everyone left with a lot to
think about.  Her presentation slides are available online at
<http://www.tummy.com/Presentations/Copyright/>.

Next Meeting:  January 11, 2002, topic and location to be determined