[lug] MX records in DNS

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Tue Dec 18 14:59:03 MST 2001

I am having some troubles with MX records for a web server.

I have a host named web.host.dom and a host named mail.host.dom

In dns I have the following

host.dom.      IN      SOA     ns.host.dom.     hostmaster.ns.host.dom.
(
                        2001090912 ; serial
                        3600 ; refresh after 1 hour
                        900 ; retry after 15 minutes
                        604800 ; expire after 1 week
                        1800 ; default_ttl is 1 hour
                        )

web                     IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                        IN      MX 0    mail

mail                    IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                        IN      MX 0    mail

I assumed this meant that if I sent an email to hugh at web.host.dom that
it should get sent to hugh at mail.host.dom

I tried it and got a bounced message back saying undeliverable.

Help.

Hugh