[lug] Getting a TDK veloCD recognized to use as a CD-RW

rotering at animalcules.com rotering at animalcules.com
Tue Dec 18 22:47:20 MST 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 10:20:35PM -0700, BOF wrote:

[TDK VeloCD CDRW woes.]

> I've tried the instructions in the CD-Writing HOWTO
> (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.1) but my
> computer seems to override the loading of the ide-scsi module and
> continues to recognize it as /dev/hdc when the system boots.

I bought one of these last week and it smokes (once you get it
working, of course).

My kernel config includes the following:

      -  NO IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
      -  SCSI emulation support as a module
      -  SCSI CDROM support in kernel
      -  SCSI generic support in kernel

In /etc/lilo.conf:

       image = /vmlinuz
                append="hdc=ide-scsi"
                        .
                        .
                        .

The kernel *initially* sees the drive as HDC, but once the ide-scsi
module is loaded, the drive becomes sr0.  Anything I could do with the
drive on /dev/hdc I can do using /dev/sr0 with one exception - I still
can't get grip to use /dev/sr0 for ripping.  I'm sure it's some
bonehead maneuver on my part.

I also have an ATAPI zip drive that becomes sde (I've got real SCSI
devices as well).  I'd rather have the zip drive back as hdd, but I
haven't figured that out yet.  Adding hdd=ide-floppy to lilo.conf
doesn't seem to do the trick.

Good luck and let us know if it works.